Follow up on the last post

PS: I had my MRI last week. Everything is stable and looks good. I will have to schedule another MRI a year from now.

In my last post, I told you about discovering an aneurysm in my brain after falling and having to go to the emergency room. Much has happened since then, and I’ve been trying to digest it all. Here is the rest of the story.

It was supposed to be a “simple” procedure; going up a vein in my leg, entering the brain, inserting a stent and some coils, to stop any further growth. Although still considered brain surgery, the doctor had performed many of these procedures without problems. Unfortunately, things don’t always turn out the way they are planned. What was supposed to be one operation, turned out to be 3 operations in as many days.

During the first procedure, the breathing tube nicked a blood vessel in my throat and I started to bleed. The neurosurgeon went ahead and put in the stent. However, they couldn’t figure out where the bleeding was coming from and decided to discontinue the operation.

They finally figured out the blood was coming from a blood vessel in the back of my throat. The second surgery, done the next day, was going in and cautereizing the area so they could stop the blood flow. I lost a lot of blood, and had to have an infusion.

In the third surgery, the doctor went up the leg again and inserted coils into the aneurysm to encourage clotting of the blood within the aneurysm.

At one time during this whole adventure, I had IVs coming out of both arms, a large one out of the side of my neck, a feeding tube down my throat, and a breathing tube down my nose. I was a sight!

At a follow-up appointment with my primary care doctor, we learned that one time during my stay my heart pumped inefficiently. It was only pumping out 40% of the blood it would normally. (I’m happy to say, after being released, I went in for a stress test and an EKG and my heart is normal again.)

I spent 10 days in the hospital, most of it in the ICU. It was an unnerving situation, one that I never want to go through again!

In September, I go in for an MRI to make sure everything is okay.

I send out heartfelt gratitude to the staff who cared for me while in the hospital. The doctors and nurses, therapists, and all the others, made my stay as stress-free as possible in this situation.

I also want to thank all of you who sent their prayers, and good thoughts. Now that it’s over I’m hoping to get back to somewhat a normal life.

4 thoughts on “Follow up on the last post

  1. Praise God you came through that trial with flying colors. I’ll be looking forward to an update with the MRI results in September :-).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *